Gummy Vitamins are Not Great, and Here's the Ugly Truth of Why
written by Lauren Curl-Ferrell on 3/11/2021, updated June 24, 2021 by Lauren Curl-Ferrell
We've got to talk about the elephant in the room: Gummy Vitamins
Gummy vitamins are a popular source of supplements but they're not the best way to get them. They're today's supplement "fad."
People see the word "vitamin" written on the label and they feel like they're doing wonders for their body.
The truth is that gummy vitamins, because they're made out of sugar, do not work as best as vitamins in liquid or capsule form.
What Makes Up A Gummy Vitamin
Gummy vitamins are commonly made from gelatin, corn starch, water, sugars, sugar alcohols, and added colorings.
Most people are probably thinking, well hey, that's not too bad - but on a chemistry level, combining sugars with supplemental vitamins can kick the actual benefit of the vitamin out.
Not to mention that the added sugar in the gummies may contribute to excessive sugar consumption. To reduce the amount of added sugars in gummy vitamins, some makers add sugar alcohols instead.
If the label says "sugar-free" on it, it may still contain those sugar alcohols (they're listed with the carbohydrates).
An overconsumption of sugar alcohols can attribute to nausea, bloating, diarrhea, and many other unfortunate digestive situations.
There are even certain things like iron that can not be made in gummy form because it's not scientifically possible.
Pregnant women should be weary of gummy vitamins. An OBGYN has probably included additional iron in an expectant mother's day to day regime, and it's not possible to get that from a gummy vitamin.
Let us rewind back to the part where we mentioned that the sugar binding agents in gummy vitamins "kick out" the actual amount of nutrition that you need.
This is mainly because the gummy vitamin manufacturers physically can not pack in as many minerals and vitamins when they have to add food colorings, added sugars, and other components to create that soft gummy texture.
A study done recently on gummy vitamins concluded that 80% of gummy vitamins do not actually contain the amount of nutritions that the label boasts (source).
The FDA doesn't monitor gummy vitamins therefore it is easy to fib on the label without anyone holding them accountable.
When we compare gummy vitamins to other multivitamins, they tend to have overall less nutrients and health benefits.
Capsule and liquid vitamins have the capability of holding 30+ nutrients in their multivitamins versus gummy vitamins can really only hold about 10-11.
Okay, Is The Fun Vitamin Worth It?
At the end of the day, we must ask ourselves, is having a fun chewy vitamin more important than the actual nutrients that we are trying to get from vitamins? The answer is no.
If you're looking for fun gummy to chew up, here's a link for our favorite healthy gummy bears, but if you're serious about your vitamins and nutrition, we've composed a list of some great liquid and capsule vitamins so that you can be guaranteed that you'll receive all the nutrients you need from that amazing supplement you take each day.
- Vitamin B-12 - the energy enhancer + brain booster.
- Vitamin to take to feel better, faster - fast immunity boost - contains 18 natural herbs, vitamins, and minerals.
- Daily immune support - vitamin C and Zinc.
- Vitamin D - Always at the top of a Doctor's list for their patient's vitamin consumption.
- Melatonin Free (Non-addictive) Sleep Vitamin - contains natural ingredients such as GABA, L-Theanine, L-Dopa, Rhodiola & Chamomile.
- Anti Stress Vitamin - high-potency blend of vitamin C and vitamin B complex.
- Vegan Multi-Vitamin - Multiple vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants for your cardiovascular system, immune system, nervous system, digestive system, brain function and more!
Best Kid's Multi Vitamin - a liquid vitamin that makes it easy (and tasty) to give to the little ones.
- Fast working Immunity Boosting Spray - Contains Vitamin C, Echinacea, Elderberry and Olive Leaf.
- Vitamin C - a powerful antioxidant which boosts immune function, promotes healthy skin, bones and teeth and so much more.
- Another Vitamin C choice - an organic super blend of four scientifically proven effective herbs and fortified with vitamin C to help strengthen the immune system and clear the way for better days.
- Vitamin D - D Helps prevent type 2 diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, osteoporosis, breast cancer, colon cancer, and ovarian cancer.
Let's get to work and focus on our health! Because simply, we all have to be better about our nutrition and stop falling for trendy gummy vitamin marketing.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.