Written by Lauren Curl-Ferrell on September 20, 2021.
Is There Any Better Way To Bring Spooky Season In?
This year is flying by. I can not believe that we're in Fall already! I always get pumped to make some spooky recipes that myself and the family can enjoy and this is one of them.
My favorite part of this recipe is the fact that matcha is present in them.
The combination of matcha, the blueberries, and Plant Powered Protein really is a win. Not to mention, how fun are these zombie popsicle molds.
But don't let these zombie popsicle molds stop you from making this recipe year round. I just used these as a statement recipe for Fall. This recipe would work with ANY popsicle mold.
What is matcha?
Matcha is a green tea leaf powder that has insanely fantastic health benefits. This is different from regular green tea, where the leaves are infused in water, then removed.
Matcha tea is made with the leaves still in tact so the drinker gets the most health benefits.
You can find matcha powder at any grocery store. It will be with the rest of the tea section.
What are the benefits of matcha?
Because matcha is made from high-quality tea, and the whole leaves are ingested, it’s a very potent source of nutrients.
1. Rich in antioxidants
They are called polyphenols, which have been tied to protection against heart disease, and cancer, as well as better blood sugar regulation, blood pressure reduction, and anti-aging. They also help to boost metabolism.
2. Contains caffeine
You get three times as much caffeine than a cup of steeped tea. It is about the amount found in a cup of coffee.
3. Helps the liver
Flushes out toxins, metabolizes drugs, and can help with processing nutrients.
4. Helps with weight loss
It helps speed up metabolism to increase energy expenditure and boost fat burning.
5. Easy to prepare
It is simple to prepare, which makes it easy to incorporate it into your diet and give your day a burst of extra flavor.
How to make protein matcha popsicles
There is a very small amount of ingredients in this recipe. I like making them in two different steps.
First, you'll roast - for only a few minutes - blueberries, honey, and a pinch of salt. Then let them cool.
There's something about roasting the blueberries before putting them in the mold that adds to the taste.
You can even make double the batch and put the remainder on top of toast, or bagels, crackers, ice cream, et cetera.
Then you'll make the matcha portion by blending up some local honey, coconut milk, avocado, Plant Powered Protein, matcha, and salt.
The coconut, protein powder, and avocado make a really creamy base. The matcha, honey, and salt really define the sweet flavor.
Put it all in a popsicle mold, freeze for about 6 hours, and then enjoy.
Watch The Goofy Spooky Process
The Full Recipe Breakdown
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Freeze Time: 6 hours
- 1 cup off fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon of local honey
- 1/8 teaspoon of pink Himalayan salt
Matcha Cream Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon of local honey
- 1 cup of full fat coconut milk
- 2 scoops of Earthy Andy x NB Pure: Plant Powered Protein
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon matcha
- 1/8 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
2. Lay out your fresh blueberries onto it, drizzle your honey and sprinkle the salt on them. Roast for 10 minutes.
3. Take the blueberries out of the over and scoop the berries and the roasted liquid into a bowl. Set aside to cool.
4. In a blender, combine the honey, coconut milk, avocado, matcha, protein powder, and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy.
5. In your popsicle mold, distribute the blueberries evenly on the bottom of the mold, then pour the matcha cream on top. Cover and freeze for 6 hours or until fully frozen.