I started skateboarding 18 years ago when my little brother forgot his board at my moms house. I picked it up and never put it back down. I used to compete in CASL (California Amateur Skateboard League) and then I moved on to The World Cup of Skateboarding events. A few years ago I was ranked 15th in the world for women's pro bowl skating. 2 years ago I was in the cover of Concrete Wave Magazine and this year my pro model skateboard came out via Silly Girl Skateboards.
3) Can you tell us a little bit about the challenges of being a professional woman athlete?
It is very challenging being an athlete as a profession and being a female. I have to keep my body in tip top shape so that I can keep up with the young rippers. Hah. It's true. There are 8 year old girls who are pro now. I have to stay fit and keep up my stamina to compete and do hour long demos with the best.
4) What is your life motto?
What ever you do, do it with passion.
5) Do you have a favorite go-to healthy snack?
Avocados, blackberries, cashews.
6) What's a day in the life of Natalie look like?
I have a 1 year old baby. So currently, much of my time is consumed caring for her. Apart from that, I wake up and have a cup of coffee. Make breakfast. Feed the baby. Figure out where my crew is skating today. Skate. Take photos. Play with the baby. Work on whatever freelance project I have at the time. Cook and hang with my husband. Then we go on evening walks every night.
7) Are you a goal setter? If so, has it helped you in your career or in any other areas of your life and do you find it important to have goals?
I do set goals. It was my goal to have a pro model in my skate career and I'm happy to finally have that. I make annual goals and smaller monthly goals. I discuss some of these with my sponsors so that we can help each other stay on track for mutual promotion. I had a goal to become a producer for a fox tv and I indeed became a producer for fox tv. I set goals with myself and with my boss and it paid off.
8) Do you have a favorite exercise routine (Besides skateboarding haha) ?
I love to dance. I also enjoy doing sit ups on the incline. Every time I sit up I rotate my upper torso to the left or to the right. It's great for my abs and my obliques. I also follow Nicole Winhoffer of Adidas. She has great full body workouts. I love to surf and ride my bike as well.
9) If today was your last day and all of your accomplishments were forgotten and you only got to leave three truths about life written down on a piece of paper what would those three truths be?